Steel guitar is one of the most unique types of guitar. As the regular guitar is played by being held, steel guitar is played like the harp. This type of instrument is used a lot of times in traditional music genres such as blues music genre and country music genre. The most common type or shape of this guitar is the lap steel one. The guitar is usually built in all-wood-bodied with a resonator in the form of square. There are also metal amplifiers built into the body of the instrument to make sure that the instrument can produce loud sounds. Below is the further information about the guitar.
1. The History of Steel Guitar
It is believed that the origin of this type of guitar is coming from Hawaii. Back in the early 19th century or in the year of 1800’s, the music instrument of guitar was introduced to the people of Hawaii. The introduction of the instrument was caused by the European sailors who came to Hawaii, especially the ones from Spain. The Spaniards were known for their musical ability, particularly in playing guitar. They were so good that even the king of Hawaii at that time often hired them to play for the court. As most people of Hawaii were big and muscular, the “tiny” guitar that the Spaniards brought did not fit them quite easily. They then modified the guitar into a bigger one and laid-flat one in order to be played easier. It became the origin of the steel guitar that people are familiar with today.
2. The Types of Steel Guitar
There are four common types of the guitar that people most likely to play.
- The first type is called the 6-string lap steel. This kind of guitar has laid-flat shape and (obviously) 6 strings on it. It is such a great instrument when it comes for vintage country music. It also works well for rock and blues genre. The guitar is considered to be perfect to produce “Hawaiian” sounds.
- The second type of the guitar is the multi-neck console. This particular type of guitar reached its peak of popularity in the 40’s and 50’s. The guitar is just great for playing country music, swing music, and Hawaiian music as well.
- The third type of the guitar is the pedal steel. The pedal guitar has the ability to change the tuning even when being played. This is the reason why this instrument is capable to produce string-bending sound, which is very unique. The instrument is perfect for country music. This type of guitar has 10 or more strings. The numerous amounts of strings on the guitar is used to extend the range of the sound production by the instrument.
- The last type of this guitar is called double-neck pedal steels. The instrument is used mostly in jazz music. Just like the pedal type, this guitar has 10 strings or more as well to extend the sound production range of this type of steel guitar.